- You learn best when actively working, not when passively listening to me talk. From now on, I’m going to lay out your work in the day’s agenda. Then I’m going to let you go. During class, my primary role will be a) tutoring you one-on-one or b) announcing when to switch agenda items.
- Each pod will nominate one person to retrieve tablets for the pod at the beginning of class. Another person will be responsible for returning tablets after class. A third person will be responsible for resetting the chairs. The final person will check the area for forgotten notebooks or trash.
- I just secured funding for a class set of headphones. Until they are delivered, headphones will not be traded after the start of class. I am tired of wasting time on this.
- Class points will be deducted for off-task behavior.
- Your ACT is next Saturday, December 12th. Our midterm the following week will cover much of the same material (ACT English & ACT Reading Comp.)
- Agenda items will become more detailed. Read the entire agenda item closely before beginning.
Do now please: Carefully and silently read the announcement above.
- 30 mins: Silently, master 91 college level words beginning with B
- If you don’t have an account on vocabulary.com, click here for American Canon and here for American Canon Honors
- Sign in
- Click “Learn this list”
- Go to “Practice”
- I grade you based on the top right progress bar (that’s the mastery bar) not the progress bar on the left (that’s progress through the practice session)
- Optional: Stretch. Think about something you’re grateful for.
- 40 mins: Silently, work through these presentations:
- 15 mins:
- Set your phone or some alarm for 8 minutes and 45 seconds. It should not make noise, unless you have headphones.
- Turn your tablet horizontally.
- Record your answers on a separate piece of paper (Mr. S will hand out).
- Work through this one passage. Start your timer once you begin.
- If you run out of time, make a mark at the last question you answered, then continue to work as quickly as possible through the other answers.
- Review your answers. Diagnose your errors. Did you fall into a trap you can avoid in the future? What strategies worked for you? How can you move more quickly?
- 5 mins: In an indoor voice, share successful and unsuccessful strategies with podmates.