- Practice annotating towards the end of objective summary and comprehension.
- Introduce Washington’s Farewell Address (text and historical background available on Materials)
- Read Farewell Address. Identify main points and note them in the margin with 5 words or fewer.
- Note main points with goal of writing objective summary in mind.
- Finish annotating Washington’s Farewell Address.
- NB: Annotating means marking up your paper, e.g. circling unknown words and ~5 word summaries in the margins.